12 ideas for Operation Holiday Cheer and to make the best of the rest of this year. There’s so much going on during this time of year it’s really hard to focus. The holidays are coming, Time for the end of the year tax planning. Deciding what to do over the holidays.
Fun is used to describe this time of year, but there are many that don’t feel that way. So many people are alone or don’t have anything to make the holidays a fun time.
My favorite holidays were before I had kids my husband and I used to buy something small and stop by an unsuspecting friend’s house. It was so much fun to do. People were always pleasantly surprised. You could feel the holiday cheer in the air. That was before the whole random acts of kindness or pay it forward movements.
Once my husband passed away it was hard to do that. I had my 2 kids and it just wasn’t feasible. In more recent years I’ve donated to families through different organizations or just to people I knew needed it. It’s such a warm feeling. This year I’ve seen and heard about how much people have gotten away from spending time together. I don’t think this is anything new but people are seeing it more now.
Get the end of year stuff taken care of and then find some things to do to help spread the holiday cheer for you and for others. Here’s some things you can do to spend more time together and make the most of the rest of this year.
- Go to a light exhibit with the family.
- Watch a movie on television. Bring the popcorn.
- Make cookies together.
- Don’t forget about game night.
- Decorate your house inside and out.
- Buy gifts for people you don’t normally buy for and stop by or just leave it at the door anonymously.
- How about bringing a box of dog bones to a shelter.
- Why not go to a homeless shelter and help serve food.
- Children’s hospital can always use gifts for the kids that are in there long term.
- Visit a nursing home or assisted living with some cookies or even cute homemade gifts by kids or flowers.
- Donate blood.
- Sit in front of a fire and roast marshmallows.
Now that you have a list, talk to your family or friends and see what you can do this year to change the atmosphere of the end of the year. You will feel your heart grow.